Copper sulphate pentahydrate – technical quality

Copper sulfate pentahydrate technical – Inorganic salt of sulfuric acid and copper also called copper (II) sulfate pentahydrate – CuSO4x5H2O – formerly called copper vitriol or blue stone. A crystalline, highly hygroscopic substance with a characteristic blue color and fine crystals. The size of the crystals resemble sugar crystals. Copper sulfate is highly toxic to aquatic organisms. After entering the natural environment it is not biodegradable and is not disposed of naturally. It accumulates in surface and ground waters causing long-term changes in contaminated water bodies.


Send inquiry

Copper sulfate is used in the prevention of cattle hoof diseases. More details on the prevention of finger technopathy in cattle on our blog.

Copper sulfate is an essential ingredient in chemical copper plating – details on our blog. It is also difficult to make a working liquid for catalytic copper plating without using copper sulfate – for those interested in the material on the blog. Copper sulfate is used in galvanizing baths for copper plating using electric current – more on our blog.

Anhydrous copper sulfate is a highly hygroscopic white substance. Only after hydration does it acquire a characteristic blue color. From the pentahydrate state, it can be restored to the anhydride by first heating to 102 degrees Celsius, at which temperature it passes as a result of a strongly endothermic transformation into a trihydrate, and then after providing another portion of heat and heating to 197 degrees Celsius, the next transformation causes that we obtain anhydrous sulfate copper (II). Due to its high toxicity and fungicidal properties, copper sulfate is widely used in the form of an aqueous solution as a fungicite in the wood preservation process. I use it in the process of electrolytic copper plating in so-called acid baths and for the electrolytic production of copper anodes. Copper sulfate is also used in veterinary medicine. Particularly readily used to control fungal infections and rot in equidae and other ungulates. Due to the high toxicity of copper sulphate to aquatic organisms, special care should be taken during transport and use to avoid uncontrolled release into the environment. Copper sulphate is not biodegradable and after a single entry into the water reservoir is not removed from it naturally causing long-term effects of toxic complaints.

Description automatically translated, binding is the Polish language version.









UN number

UN 3077

Packing group


Transport hazard class(es)


ERP Identifier

EU 1200